Friday 17 April 2009

The psychological effect of Shinrin-yoku proven

A study on "Shinrin-yoku", or forest air bathing/breathing, was published in Japan in 2006.

The study doesn't reveal anything that we don't already know. Science is often like that. Only a few years ago was it scientifically proven that stress has an effect on our health...

Anyway, in this study, the psychological effects of being in a forest and breathing forest air was measured. And surprise, surprise, people were considerably less stressed and more energized.

Self-evident maybe, but definitely a good reminder. I'm thinking when was the last time I was in a forest? Can't even remember. I'm sure there are some forests somewhere in the UK...

In 2007, a more detailed study was published in "Journal of Physiological Anthropology" where physiological as well as psychological effects were measured. They found that "sympathetic nervous activity was suppressed and parasympathetic nervous activity was enhanced in the forest area, and that Shinrin-yoku reduced stress levels." Blood pressure and pulse rate was significantly lower, and salivary cortisol concentration was significantly lower in the forest, among the measured criteria.


An earlier study done in Australia in 2001 covered the more abstract subject of "TRANSCENDENT EXPERIENCE IN FOREST ENVIRONMENTS". Quoted from the abstract: "The paper discusses broad classifications of transcendent experience in forest and considers the implications for understanding the spiritual meaning of nature. "

I don't visit a forest very often. But I plan to now, being reminded of their existence. So I will find some nice British forests for a weekend retreat.

But until then, luckily, I'm doing my shinrin-yoku every day, be it at work or at home. All it takes is an Air Wellness Power 5 Pro. And you have clean, energized, ion rich air.

Breathe!







1 comment:

Makka said...

Hi, Janne!

I would like to complete what you wrote about stress, if I may. Not only a few years ago noticed scientists that stress has a really bad influence on human health. Sellye János observed that people who had various illnesses showed the highly similar symptoms of a "sickness", and he began to develop his concept of the influence of stress on people's ability to cope with and adapt to the effects of injury and disease, he wrote about that already in 1956.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Selye

I'm Hungarian, I work with Nikken too, so I have found your blog.

Congratulations for your business!:)